Thursday, February 28, 2008

Vanity and Values > The Girl Scout Impact

As I noted in my last post, I lost my wallet a couple of weeks ago. I kept hoping it would turn up, but alas... nothing.

So, I headed to the BMV for a new license.

For a variety of reasons, my pic turned out less than attractive. This is a bummer cause my last driver's license was totally (and I mean totally) cute.

Anyway, the main thing I was bummed about was how chubby I looked. I've been working out religiously for the last few months, using both weights and cardio machines. So, to look overweight still was a hard pill to swallow.

So, I did what any reasonable girl would do when she's upset about her weight: I ate a handful of Girl Scout cookies....and then I ate another one.

And this got me thinking.

The Girl Scouts say that their cookie selling program is a beneficial thing that teaches girls about commitment, hard work, and the entrepreneurial spirit.

But I submit that it's really teaching girls to take advantage of people by selling addictive products that are harmful to the consumers. I mean, really, in this day where most of America is obese, isn't there some kind of more useful product that they could use to teach the values they're trying to impart?

For instance, a kid from our local high school came by recently selling mulch. What a brilliant idea. Selling mulch is a good way to beautify the community and to not make people fat. Rather, spreading mulch is physical activity that promotes health. You get your heart rate up a bit, and definitely work out your arms and back. Not to mention the benefits of spending time outdoors.

So, why can't the Girl Scouts do something that's a little more beneficial?

2 comments:

  1. Part of the Girl Scout legacy is the cookies. They're not just a cookie, they've become embedded in American culture. It's nice that others sell mulch. i sold flowers to go on a trip with my show choir in high school. But if the Girl Scouts changed now what they sell, i don't think they would have continued success, and the general outcry would be very bad for the organization. They did, however, come out with a sugar-free cookie this year. i don't think it's that bad that they sell cookies. It's my choice to eat as many as i do. i just try to keep it to one box a year. If i eat the whole box in a day, then i'm done:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah...it was just a joke, anyway.

    Obviously, it's my lack of coping skills (or whatever) that caused me to eat too many cookies because of a bad picture.

    Although, to be a devil's advocate here...

    Should we really continue doing things that are unhealthy just because people want us to?

    ReplyDelete

You got something to say? Let's talk!

But be forewarned... Anonymous comments may be deleted.