Saturday, July 05, 2008

Up to Our Eyeballs

I got a voicemail today from a very nice sounding young man named William Page. He was calling with concern because his records showed that our loan payments were overdue, and he hoped that we could work together to come up with a loan restructuring plan based on our current financial situation. He urged me to call soon so we could begin avoiding foreclosure immediately.

I didn't call. In fact, I deleted the voicemail.

Billy and I have an ethic of living within our means. So, that means that we don't take debt lightly. We are careful to enter into any kind of arrangements where we owe anyone anything. We don't commit our money where it can't be fulfilled. Rather, we work to pay extra on the one loan we owe on our van.

After all, the Bible tells us to, "let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another..." Romans 13:8.

But I realize that not everyone lives this way. And my heart broke today listening to the call.

We got that call, I'm sure, as a cold call from a telemarketing agency trying to build up business for a consolidation company. It didn't apply to us, but odds are that it applies to more people than not these days.

Our country is so overwhelmed with debt. In Indiana creditors were calling us to get to our neighbors. The resident who lived in our apartment before us is defaulting on her loans (I know this cause I get her mail all the time and the envelopes proclaim it).

The other day, I fasted for those in captivity abroad. Today, I mourn for those who are shackled here in America.

2 comments:

  1. So true. It's hard, initially, to really live within your means (because so many people don't) but once we did it, we'll never (I pray) go back. There is so much freedom and peace in living simply

    ReplyDelete
  2. getting to that place is so hard. And right now, with the economy what it is- life is hard on so many. us included. We lost our house in Michigan because of the economy. What is devastating is that we'd gotten out of debt and worked so hard at building everything up, before ever buying... and we know that, as it "blew up in our face" we are not alone...

    ReplyDelete

You got something to say? Let's talk!

But be forewarned... Anonymous comments may be deleted.