Monday, May 05, 2008

Spending Fast

Now that we're down here and getting settled, Billy and I have had a chance to look over our money stuff.

The move and related things (house repairs, organization needs [read: a kitchen trash can and such], bedding for Eve) have caused us to spend more than we normally do. Add to that an obnoxious bill for car repair, and we're downright tired of shelling out the cash.

So, we decided last night to participate in a "spending fast" for the month of May. This means that we won't be spending any unnecessary money.

"Necessary" will be categorized as anything that would make creditors come after us if we didn't pay. We will be paying rent. We will pay for power. We will pay for gas and groceries, although our efforts will go toward decreasing these expenditures.

"Superfluous" spending would include things like picture frames that I really want so I can hang up family pictures. These are only $2 each at Wal-mart. But $2 here and $2 there is what ends up adding up to big bucks in the long run.

I will be waiting to buy curriculum for next year until June. I'll also have to wait on getting Ashlyn's year-old pictures printed. (Heck! She's already 15 months, what's 30 more days???)

If we want, we can choose to write down things that we wanted to spend money on. Then, at the end of the month, we'll see what we really wanted by seeing if we still want it.

The idea for this came from My Simpler Life.

3 comments:

  1. That's a great idea! i don't know if i'd have the self-discipline to pull it off, though:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:47 PM

    that's a fantastic idea.

    It's really good to have you back on the blogosphere Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree...great idea! I've put myself through similar situations before before getting married. I would only spend the necessary $$, but unfortunately, my house kept needing repairs, so necessary became obnoxious. You know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete

You got something to say? Let's talk!

But be forewarned... Anonymous comments may be deleted.