Thursday, September 27, 2007

Why I Homeschool

There's a myriad of reason why I home school, but here are a few of the clinchers.

Schools teach to the middle.

Early last school year, I talked to my daughter's kindergarten teacher at a local private school with a concern about her reading. She happened to be quite a bit ahead of where the classroom instruction was. When I asked her teacher how this would be handled the reply was, "Don't worry. The other children will catch up."

I didn't want the other kids to catch up...not because I am spiteful toward them, but because if others "catch up," then my daughter's not progressing.

The problem is just as strong for kids with a learning difficulty in a subject. Because elementary school classes are so large and general those who are either above or below the average will not be adequately taught.

School children are over-socialized.

Lots of people see low socialization as a drawback to homeschooling. I see it as quite positive. When children are surrounded by other children for 7 hours a day at school and a couple hours in the evening playing, they get too much socialization, in my opinion.

I want my child to be respectful and able to act appropriately in the company of adults. I can't teach my child to behave well by putting her around a bunch of kids that don't behave well all day.

My daughter goes to a gymnastics class, a kids' club, and Sunday school each week. She also has some friends in the neighborhood that she plays with occasionally. I find this to be sufficient social time.

Being publicly presentable early in the morning just doesn't do it for me and my kid.

Getting up and getting my child ready to send off for school by 7:30 doesn't fit into our lives very well. Even if I'm up then (which I usually am, thanks to the baby), I'm certainly in no mood or position to be getting my 7-year-old ready to catch the bus at such an ungodly hour. I don't think it's healthy for kids to get up that early. I'm a big believer in kids sleeping as much as they need to. I'm also a big believer in lounging around in pajamas for as long as we want.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:51 PM

    Word, chica. For rizzal. I think I can say I completely agree with where you're coming from 100% on this stuff. I'm really glad that I was able personally to attend a private school that allowed me to jump to the third grade reading level in first grade, and got me into mensa in the fourth grade. The sky is the limit for kids especially if they are taught well at home - I think every single child that comes out into this earth has literally limitless potential - of course there may be birth/genetic impediments but they'll only affect that child to the extent the child allows them to affect him/her! I am also blessed that mom read to me so much - I know you do to both your girls a lot (can't imagine you NOT reading to them!!!). Evie's gonna be (if she's not already) a GEEENEEUUUSSS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to see that we found some common ground finally! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:33 AM

    I think my Mum would totally agree with you, because I was the same as Eve - she taught me to read and write when I was 3. I was ready to go up to Primary School when I was 4, but they wouldn't let me because of my age (if I'd been born a month earlier, I would have been allowed). So instead I was made to wait until I was 5. I was bored out my mind all through Primary School! I was well ahead with reading, and my had to fight to get me allowed to either be put in the class above for reading...it only lasted for a couple of years though, because they didn't want me to get 'too far ahead'.

    as a result, I've underachieved ever since! :)

    I can't believe how early kids seem to go to school in the States compared to here in the UK though - we start school just before 9 a.m. in Primary School and finish at 2.45 (until you are in P3 or P4 - equivalent to 2nd or 3rd grade? - then you finish at 3.15). In Edinburgh all state schools finish at lunchtime on a Friday as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:39 PM

    You forgot to mention:

    "My husband is really down with it." :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We home school our boys and although it can be a lot of work, especially as they get older – our oldest is in 3rd grade – we do it for the reasons you mention and some others. One struggles to work independently and the other finds school very easy and needs a challenge to stay motivated. Having the ability to tailor-make the schedule is a big help as well.

    ReplyDelete

You got something to say? Let's talk!

But be forewarned... Anonymous comments may be deleted.