Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Going Green week one

So, I'm not really sure how I got sucked into all this energy saving stuff. I think it was someone's blog from a forum on homeschooling that lead me to various websites on energy conservation. That and the fact that our Vectren bill was obnoxious this month. So, anyway, I read this blog called Casaubon's Book, and she has a nice 52-week plan for less energy consumption. Her goal is 90% reduction (yeah, right...good luck, lady), but I figure that anything is good. Saving energy saves money after all, and if we could even cut back by 20% then we'd be doing well.

So, one of her suggestions is to stay home for one day every week. I didn't quite accomplish that thanks to lamer kids' events at the library (needless to say, we won't be missing our goal for those this week). But I was able to limit my trips into Evansville to just two days. I went to church on Sunday and saw an incredible Jesus painter there. (check out Billy's interview with him.) And earlier in the week, I had an appointment that I really couldn't miss. But when it was all said and done, I only drove a whopping 130 miles, which is less than the national average of 230. So, that's a success.

Another suggestion is to grow food yourself. I haven't done that yet, but I did try to buy locally. This was so not so successful, as Engelbrecht's does not actually sell local food. I went there, hoping to really support local community and to get some un-shipped produce, but alas...the only local stuff was some cabbage, green beans, and zucchini. I bought a little bit of that stuff, and made a yummy chicken/zucchini alfredo, which I have tons of and will be eating for the next several days.

I've been trying to conserve energy around the house, too. I'm sure Billy thinks I'm a loon by now, with my turning off lights and turning up the temperature and whatnot. I've even started to reach under our little entertainment center to turn off the power strip to make sure that we don't get the phantom loads charged to our account or our karma. (That karma part was a joke, guys. Lighten up. Yes, I do believe in the grace of God.)

So, anyway...we'll see where that all makes a difference in our next bill.

The whole energy conservation thing, though, is really just a way to get myself into my dreams, I think. It feels a little more meaningful to live a life where you care about things like turning off lights to save the earth and money. And where you are forced to find things to do at home instead of driving off without thinking about the gas or pollution. And really, when I can get some time plant some veggies, then I'll be really happy.

More to come on the revolution....

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:23 AM

    you can still probably plant some veggies but probably not after this weekend. we've got spinach, peppers, snap beans, and zucchini growing. They're like 4" tall right now. I have to get some screen material and some stakes because I apparently have some interested creatures nibbling on my bean leaves. Tom and I still don't have the air conditioners in the windows yet. We're seeing how long we can hold off. I hate the energy spike from AC. Suckage. If we stay under 50% humidity this summer for a pretty decent period of time I might think about installing a swamp cooler upstairs - although they're more usually reserved for arid climates. Swamp coolers are awesome though. It makes the air inside a little more humid but it definitely saves energy - doesn't work, though, if it's humid outside!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think your a loon. I think your new greenness is cute and endearing.

    ReplyDelete

You got something to say? Let's talk!

But be forewarned... Anonymous comments may be deleted.