Saturday, February 03, 2007

Feelin' It

So, this baby thing is definitely different this time around. I don't know how to explain all that plays into that. Some of it is awesome, like the fact that I actually like the man that partnered with me to create this child. He doesn't cause me the angst that the other one did. I don't have all the pre-occupation with my negative emotions clouding my days and affecting my parenting. I feel like I have more to offer Ashlyn because I have an amazing relationship with her father.

I don't feel as overwhelmed, either. I feel like I know what I'm doing this time, and I don't have to keep asking how to manage the mothering part of it.

But I also feel that isolation of stay-at-home moms. I didn't get this the first time around because I lived with my parents and my mom worked from home, so I was around adults all the time. But I heard mothers make comments about how hard it can be to be around children all day and to lack the adult conversation. It is hard.

Today, two of my good friends came by at different time for an hour or so each. It was awesome to see Trish and the girls again, and to have some time with Amanda and Wes. But now, I'm back to being here with Ashlyn, and I'm realizing that even that time together with friends doesn't seem to speak to the need that I have.

I wonder if I'm just overly needy...maybe it's something that I need to get over. Anyway, it's something that feel now, regardless of whether it's my own problem.

I think that part of it is that I don't really have any regular kind of socializing. Like it seems I just spent today "catching up" with old friends. Somehow, it's not the same as hanging out.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous1:31 PM

    Yeah. I feel you. It's like, sometimes it's just hard to connect with people, and then, when you're all alone with your kids, poopoopeepee baba baby whatever, it's like, where are my adult relationships? I'm sort of looking forward to kids in a way, but on the other hand, I know we'll need much more of a support network than we currently have. It's nice that Tom's 'rents are 20 minutes away, and it's nice that my parents are an hour's flight away, but as for friends and people in similar circumstances, it's sort of tough. I wish there were more peeps to chill with on the regular.

    Isn't it neat though that God provides for us in any circumstance, like through being at home with your mom the first time around, and now with a great relationship with Billy and Evie there to help out with other chores? That's really neat!

    ReplyDelete

You got something to say? Let's talk!

But be forewarned... Anonymous comments may be deleted.